Hello Followers and Happy Recipe Monday! This evening, my mom and I ate pesto chicken with sauteed broccoli. Let me tell ya… my mom’s pesto is incredible. It has so much flavor, it goes great with just about everything you can think of (except for desserts, obviously), and it is comforting. I normally take photos during the process, but I did not this time. I only have a photo of the pesto and broccoli. I was too busy stuffing my face to remember the chicken. I apologize! It is a relatively easy dish, though. If you do want photos, I can request this for dinner again next week (no complaints)!
Below are ingredients and steps for Mommy’s AMAZING Pesto Chicken and broccoli.
.75 oz of fresh basil
.75 oz of parsley (curly, not Italian)
1/4 cup of walnuts
1 large clove of garlic
1/3 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
extra virgin olive oil
8 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
season with salt and pepper
2 crowns of broccoli
1 large clove of garlic
red pepper flakes (pinch or more if you like it spicy)
2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of pepper
Steps for Pesto (This can be made a day or two in advance. Remember to refrigerate until you are ready to use)
1. In a food processor, combine all ingredients listed above (from the pesto ingredient list) except the olive oil.
2. While the food processor is running and combining the ingredients, drizzle in the olive oil through the feed tube until you reach a desired consistency. Typically, you do not what it to be too runny. The olive oil flavor should not dominate the other ingredients.
Steps for Chicken Breasts
1. If you like your chicken breasts thinner, butterfly them before seasoning.
2. When the meat is prepared to your liking, season with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
3. Grill the chicken (thin) about 4 minutes, then approximately 3-4 on the other side. The time will vary based on the size of the breast. We choose to grill our chicken, however, you can use the stove top and a skillet, too.
4. When the chicken is cooked, take about 2 tsps. of pesto and spread it on top of each piece of chicken.
5. Turn the grill off, shut the lid, and let the pesto become one with the chicken (haha).
Steps for Broccoli
1. Cut the crowns of broccoli into bite size florets.
2. In a saute pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil.
3. When olive oil is heated, add broccoli.
4. Let the broccoli cook down for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. At this point, you may need to add a bit more olive oil. Use your best judgement.
6. Add minced garlic and pepper flakes to the pan. (DO NOT BURN THE GARLIC. Yuck.)
7. Stir together ingredients and in about 3 more minutes, it should be ready to eat! You do not want overcooked broccoli. It should be slightly firm, not “soggy.”
When everything is complete, plate it and enjoy! We have been trying to eat healthier, so this is a fantastic (and tasty) dinner. Bon Appetit!