If you are anywhere located near the DC area, you probably have heard about the blizzard watch. One day it is 60 degrees, the next day we are expecting 12+ inches of snow. Just a normal day here in Maryland, everybody!
This entire week, I have been thinking of fun ways for David and me to spend time at home if we were to be stuck inside during the storm. David and I LOVE to play outside like children, but we can’t do that all day long. To fight the cabin fever, we knew we would have to create a list of things to do while snowed in. Below is a list of our suggestions for a fun weekend snowed in (or any weekend where you want to stay indoors). I decided to utilize the five senses in this list. Enjoy!
- See: The first sense I chose to focus on is sight! What better way to use those eyes indoors than to binge on Netflix? This HAD to be included. Enjoy the free time and catch up on some of your favorite shows or movies. David and I love to put on a show that makes us laugh, drink some hot cocoa, and snuggle up with the dog on the couch. It’s a great way to unwind.
- Feel/Touch (physically): This is easy… go outside and touch the cold, soft, wet snow. Or curl up with a soft blanket 🙂
- Feel/Touch (emotionally): Why not get in touch with your feelings, too? One way I know how to “feel” is by reading. When you find a great book that allows you to express emotions, it is truly spectacular. Currently, I am reading Wildflower by Drew Barrymore. So far it is fantastic and I have felt a wave emotions in three chapters alone. Check it out!
- Smell: I love smells. They trigger so many amazing memories for me as a child. One way I like to emit smells in my home is to boil fresh ingredients on the stove. The scents you make are all natural and it is fun! Check out this YouTube video from Ingrid Nilsen’s homemade fragrances tutorial/DIY project. She provides other fun options to consider for fulfilling your need to smell! Click here for a few more recipes for smells to consider making.
- Taste: Weeee! Taste is the best, isn’t it? Senses are amazing. But, let’s be real for a moment… taste reigns supreme. When I think of tasting things that are decadent and wonderful, I think of chocolate. To combat the feeling of boredom when snowed in, bake some cookies! I have a new favorite cookie that I made during Christmas time. (Obviously you will need to buy the ingredients in advance. My guess is you will know about a potential blizzard at least two days prior, like me.) The cookies are Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies. Doesn’t that just sound perfect? MMMM I WANT IT NOW!!! Okay, I will dial it back a bit. Sorry. Click here for the scrumptious recipe.
- Hear/Listen: One word for you all… MUSIC. Have an amazing jam session. Turn on the tunes, dance, and listen to the artistic geniuses who have blessed our fine earth with musical art. My suggestion is to listen to a wide variety of music. Start of slow and steady. Then, work your way up to a faster beat. Use this time to get your steps in and dance off some calories consumed from the peppermint patty cookies. Music is marvelous. Listen to whatever makes you feel at peace. Dave Matthews, Zedd, Chris Brown, Fetty Wap, Billy Currington, Led Zep… the list goes on. Rock on!
I hope you get in touch with your senses while snowed in this weekend (if you are stuck on the East Coast). Have fun, be safe, and most importantly… STAY WARM!